Threepwood Road, Beith, KA15 2JR     

01505 503166     

Company Logo

Forthcoming Events

Sat Jun 24
Gents Fixture
Eglinton Trophy

History of Beith Golf Club

Extract from "The Herald", 14th February 1896

"Beith Club - The links were formally opened on Saturday, but owing to wet weather only a few completed the course. Mr Walter Williamson - writer, the Captain was presented by the members with a handsome driver as a momento of the occasion. Over 80 ladies and gentlemen have already become members."

Play continued over the nine holes opposite Grangehill until 1907 when the first major change took place - the move to our present course or at least the nine holes which formed the course between 1907 and 1995.

One Sunday morning in the early 1960's, the Clubhouse which was built following the lease of 1907, burned down, leaving the members with no accommodation or shelter. So with some haste, they set about finding a temporary building as a replacement. Fortunately at that time, Hunterston Power Station was being built and the club was able to buy a surplus hut and erect it adjacent to the 3rd tee - a chemical toilet had pride of place in the new building. There was even a bar!. This consisted of 2 or 3 crates of Struther's lemonade,  - members were on their honour to pay sixpence (two and half pence in new money) per bottle.

Gradually year by year the club progressed, course equipment was brought up to date and membership increased steadily. Competitions were being contested by an ever growing number of players.

It became obvious as the 1970's approached, that although the course was in better shape, the Clubhouse accommodation was sub standard and thoughts began to turn towards the provision of better facilities. A development fund was set up and many members still with the club will remember the weekly draw that raised money very successfully. After much hard work the day came when plans for a new Clubhouse were exhibited and after more hectic activity, the present Clubhouse was opened on 4th May 1974.

Completion of the new Clubhouse marked a turning point in the affairs of the club. It fairly quickly dropped its dependence on voluntary labour and became more of a business.

The game itself became more keenly contested both among the membership and inter club level. A Club badge, based on the flag of Beith was designed and introduced.

The ladies section, shall we say "blossomed" and the juniors "matured" into two comparatively self sufficient groups, the boys being taken under the wing of an adult member and taught the etiquette and sportsmanship of the game.

Later on in the 1980's, the Seniors' section was formed and the "Golden Oldies" are to be seen in action every Tuesday and Thursday.

The Club moved on through the seventies and eighties and into the nineties with both course and Clubhouse showing continuous improvement and in 1993 after purchase of land from Mr Hugh Knox of Hill of Beith the development of the course into an eighteen hole course was realised.

 

This is the course enjoyed today by members and guests.




Beith Golf Club 2013